Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Poetry reading & reflection: Randall Jarrell

The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly until my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

--------------------

I am reminded of three things by this poem.


(1) I got to meet novelist William Deihl on several occasions before he died in September. Although not a writer that would be considered a literary figure, Diehl was an excellent storyteller and his books were page turners. Primal Fear turned out to be the starting point for Edward Norton's solid acting career. Bill took time each opportunity I saw him to talk with me about my writing career. On the occasions I saw him I was between 20 and 23, and he always encouraged me to keep writing, keep reading and stay patient. He didn't publish Sharky's Machine—his first novel and later a Burt Reynolds movie—until he was in his 50s.


The most remarkable thing about Diehl may have been that he survived 27 missions as a ball turret gunner. Those brave souls who manned that position in World War II bombers were almost always on suicide missions. By all accounts, the vulnerable nature of this position made ball turret gunners among the most killed and injured fliers of that conflict. I got to talk with Bill about this poem, lending amazing insight to the power of that last line.


(2) On a less somber note: the poem also reminds me of an episode of the great old TV show "Amazing Stories." In season one (which I have on DVD and may review later if the Nerduary doesn't (or hasn't) beat me to the punch), Kevin Costner plays a ball turret gunner with an artistic bent. This was really good television, and someone should look into resurrecting the series, especially with the success of Sci-Fi inspired shows like "Lost," "Heroes" and a new Institute favorite "John From Cincinnati."


(3) Brevity is the soul of wit. Short poem with a one-line kicker. Too good.