Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Class postponed (and other news)

The syllabus here at Lanier Drive has been adjusted to accommodate the Dean's rapidly expanding schedule which now includes: being the temporary permanent replacement at United Distributors for a departed salesman, trying hectically to get a wedding to come together, bills & housework, loving support to the Institute's head librarian as she immerses herself in graduate school, house hunting, freelance writing, playwriting and managing a fantasy football team.

Here's the plan. Note that it is a PLAN.

Thursday: my usual piece on Georgia Southern football will appear over on SouthernFACTS.org. If you like GSU football, give it a look-see. This week's topic: why the two-party system doesn't work, even for football fans.

Friday: "The Cult of I-AA." More sports. I'll be going over the fantasy football impact of players from I-AA schools, dissecting the interesting matchups in week one of the college football season (as they apply to I-AA, of course), introducing the "Cult Hall of Fame," putting up pictures of more Cult Babes and giving my thoughts on other college football matters. There's always a little pop culture thrown in there, too, so even if you're indifferent toward I-AA football, comb through and see if there's something else you like.

Sunday: The long awaited second lesson in the POP101 Class: The Six Laws of Pop Culture. In this lesson, it will become clear how the Six Laws came to life thanks to celebrity meltdowns.

Monday: A new post for the Erk blog—some people still don't know the story of Erk Russell, and whether you are a diehard GSU football fan or just one of my occasional readers in Idaho (and other parts unknown), this story has real magic. Check it out.


I'm looking for the next "Meet the Faculty" interviewee, so any suggestions would be welcome. I just need someone with the ability to write coherently and something to say about pop culture and/or the world at large.