Friday, May 25, 2007

I loved Beth Cooper, too

Just finished I Love You, Beth Cooper. Perhaps the saddest piece of American pop-culture fiction I've ever read, and still incredibly funny and touching. The 30-plus set will revel in the book, particularly if they ever watched and enjoyed any of the following movies:


Say Anything, The Breakfast Club, American Pie (just the first one), Weird Science, Uncle Buck – hell, let's just say all of the great John Hughes epics from the eighties (except Adventures in Babysitting) – Gross Point Blank, Almost Famous, Dazed and Confused, Can't Hardly Wait, Go, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Mean Girls, Napoleon Dynamite, etc, etc, etc.


Worth noting: Beth Cooper is going to be a movie, too. I'm buying max shares on the Hollywood Stock Exchange as soon as I publish this.


I think my newly located long-lost high school friends Katrina and Emily should definitely buy and read this book, because those are the people from my high school I know and it just feels like you should tell all your real high school friends about this book.


More on this later, after I've had a little time to emotionally detach myself from it.